While your local Trimble Authorized Reseller can provide you with robust, fully supported solutions for wireless data transfer powered by higher-end modems such as the DCM-300® or GX450® , there are lower-end solutions for those of us willing to put in a little extra effort. Keep in mind that this is not an officially supported configuration, but with a little work, you can connect a few very specific off-the-shelf components to allow your Trimble FmX® display to leverage a simple wireless hotspot from your smartphone.
- USB to Ethernet – The success of this configuration is made possible by one a very specific USB-to-ethernet adapter: the TRENDnet USB 2.0 to 10/100 Ethernet Adapter with the TU2-ET100 Chipset (buy on Amazon). This will Connect to the USB port on your FmX, and you can connect the ethernet side to almost any other source of connectivity.
- Ethernet to WiFi – While we have generally used the IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi N Adapter (buy on Amazon) due to it’s very low price point, theoretically any ethernet-to-network adapter should work, as long as it appears to be source of access to the ethernet cable.
- WiFi Hotspot – Lastly, turning on the WiFi hotspot feature on your smartphone (many carriers will charge extra for this functionality) will provide the final connection to the internet, so you can send and receive files. For less than $40 USD in parts, there is little to lose if you want to give it a try.
Getting set up:
- Purchase the components listed above
- Purchase a Trimble Ag Software Plan that includes Vehicle Connections (each display will take a vehicle connection and additional Vehicle Connections can be purchased beyond the included plan)
- Log in to your online account and add your FmX serial number under Farm > Equipment > Devices (learn more)
- Set up a vehicle and assign the Device, and a Vehicle Connection to the Vehicle under Farm > Equipment > Vehicles
- Connect the TrendNet USB to Ethernet adapter to the back of your FmX
- Connect the Ethernet to your IOGEAR Ethernet to Wi-Fi N Adapter
- Note: you will have to follow the instructions provided with your adapter to connect it to your preferred WiFi hotspot ahead of time (this step is usually done using a computer or WPS)
- From your FmX display, turn on wireless data transfer by adding the Office Sync module in the Settings (the password to access the settings is 2009)
That’s it! Now you have wireless data transfer whenever you’re in range of Wi-Fi coverage.
Need help? While this is not an officially supported hardware configuration, please contact our customer support team if you have any questions or issues with configuring Trimble Ag Software or your FmX. Every annual Trimble Ag Software Plan comes with access to our support network to help farmers.