Food Supply Chain Management
Trimble Ag Software Simplifies the Food Processor Supply Chain
There is nothing simple about efficiently managing the procurement of production companies need to fulfill their exacting processing requirements. Thankfully, Trimble Ag Software is more than equal to the challenge.
External pressures in a highly competitive global agriculture market are forcing organizations to streamline their business processes, increase operational effectiveness, reduce operating costs, and make better-informed business decisions. Many companies are realizing that poor and isolated access to information hampers them from growing their business. Information silos affect their ability to respond to market fluctuations and react to changing crop projections. To flourish, they must drive their costs down, navigate a challenging business and regulatory environment, and build or maintain market share in this competitive sector.
Does this scenario sound familiar? If so, you are well aware that however insightful your leadership team may be, you need systems that manage the information flow for all facets of the agriculture supply chain and provide this information to the desktops of key stakeholders. Trimble offers a full suite of software products to serve businesses involved in the production, handling, contracting and processing of agricultural commodities. Trimble Ag Software’s processor tools integrate smoothly with information systems to strengthen both knowledge and management of the supply chain. The software suite is configurable to accommodate anything from grains and oilseeds to fruit and vegetables.
Combined with Trimble’s tools for mapping, crop planning, quality and field testing, Trimble Ag Software for Food Processors ties together all of the pieces of the pre-processing supply chain in a fully integrated system empowering full traceability at the click of a button. A key value proposition is the inherent business intelligence information our system can provide. The operational data collected throughout the system can be analyzed to support better strategic and tactical decision-making providing a return on investment that goes far beyond simple operational efficiency. The Trimble Ag Software suite provides several ‘out-of-the-box’ reporting tools as well as flexible reporting tools which are driven by a client’s or organization’s specific business requirements.
Are Trimble Ag Processor Tools for you?
- Are you Involved in the procurement and processing of agricultural commodities?
- Do you work with high value commodities that require segregation, such as identity preserved or organic crops?
- Do you have numerous contract criteria that drive bonuses, deductions, distance payments, taxes, etc.?
- Do you manage financial settlements with growers and third party contractors such as truckers and inspection agencies?
- Do you have a requirement for inspections and testing on production locations, storage locations, inventory, or simply on deliveries to your processing facility?
- Do you manage individual lots of crop inventory and the quantity and quality attributes of those lots?
Grower and Business Partner Management
Manage any information relating to individuals or companies that you do business with, including growers and service providers. Streamlining grower and third party relationship management is essential in managing relationships efficiently.
- Manage contact information such as addresses, licenses, communication preferences of growers, truckers, inspection agencies, and other service providers.
- Track information on trucks, machinery, and other vehicles used in the production and procurement of commodities whether company owned or owned by a business partner.
Streamlining grower and third party location information is essential in managing day to day tasks. Effective administration of production and storages locations is key to commodity production and inventory management. All location information can be viewed in a tabular fashion, or can be displayed spatially using integrated GIS tools.
- Manage any information relating to locations tied to your business or to business partners including, Farms, Fields, Management Zones, Storages, and bins.
- Maintain detailed information on production locations at multiple levels including Farms, Fields and Management Zone information including the ability to perform GIS mapping related tasks.
- Record crop history records which include seeding, fertilizer, crop protection, and field management information for production locations.
- Monitor agronomic practices and ensure regulatory compliance. Record pesticide application data for each location and compare against chemical compliance reference data.
- Maintain detailed information on storage locations at multiple levels including storage buildings and bins, including inventory volumes and attributes. View these locations spatially using one of Trimble’s GIS mapping options.
Simultaneously manage multiple purchase, sales, and service contract types for all business partners relating to crop production and sales.
- Manage purchase, service and sales contracts between your company and business partners.
- Capture multiple contract attributes including quantitative and qualitative attributes.
- Simultaneously manage contracts for multiple commodities.
- Review contract balances in “real time” including delivered vs. contracted commodity volumes on each contract.
- Accommodate contract specific payment rates and instructions.
- Cash or seed advances.
- Capture quality and non-quality based contract compliance information.
- Contract payment instructions including flexibility to handle multiple payees, contractor-subcontractor relationships, payment settlement options, splits, and assignments on a dollar value or percentage basis.
Test Management and Inspections
Simultaneously plan, requisition, and record multiple test types associated with soil, plants, storages, contracts, inspections, as well as load or multi load based tests.
- Plan for tests and capture test results to support quality control and payment parameters.
- Allows for capture of complex tests which can be location, contract, or load based including test results tied to multiple loads of product.
- Configure tests based upon client specific test attributes including calculated attributes.
- Plan, requisition, and resource tests to be completed against physical locations such as fields and storages or inventory contained at these locations.
- Capture and enter test results manually or interface with existing lab hardware to capture results seamlessly.
- Create and manage tests based upon composite samples, comparing actual to theoretical results.
- Test results can be tied directly to inventory lots in order to record specific quality parameters.
- Test results can be integrated with Contracts and Settlements to allow for contract pass/fail levels and automated premium or deduction calculations per load or quantity of a commodity.
Agricultural businesses need to track and manage scaled inventory and ensure that deliveries are assigned to the correct contract. Tracing a load back to its original location, verifying the quality of the load, and creating an audit trail of delivery information are all important aspects of the commodity delivery process.
- Create and track load tickets and related data such as weights & measures, transportation information, notes and sample data.
- Create and track both Inbound and Outbound load tickets.
- Fully integrated with Trimble’s contract and test management functionality to update inventory in real time and validate deliveries against contract information.
- Fully integrated with Trimble settlement functionality to provide real-time inventory valuation and account balances.
- Capture and enter scale weights manually or interface with existing scale hardware to capture results electronically.
- Trimble offers both an attended and an unattended scaling Option. Card swipe, key code, RFID and other options are available for auto-scaling.
- Print and/or scan traditional or 2D barcode load tickets.
- Be notified of delivery warnings, suspensions, quotas and other important information upon scaling trucks in or out.
- Create, manage and monitor high volume delivery schedules to scales at processing or production facilities in real time based on current contracts.
Inventory Management and Fulfillment
Manage and view inventory volumes and inventory attributes by commodity at each storage location for production scheduling and planning. Also, optimize the use of production inventory across storage locations in order to maximize profitability and efficiency.
- Monitor quantity and quality information for your inventory in real time.
- Manage inventory by product, contract, location and other attributes.
- Manage storage locations and transfer of inventory lots between locations (field, bin, facility, etc.).
- Monitor the volume, quality attributes, and valuation of each inventory lot in real-time through integration with Trimble test management, scaling, and settlement functionality.
- Manage inventory lots throughout the supply chain and track the volume, ownership and location of each lot to support inventory traceability on a “lot by lot” basis.
- Source production inventory according to specific quality characteristics while monitoring the quality characteristics of committed and non-committed inventory.
- Blend and optimize inventory deliveries to precisely meet quality specifications when fulfilling orders and contracts and to help reduce waste of lower quality inventory.
When companies have a variety of contracts to manage, ensuring payments are accurate and timely is a constant challenge. Further complicating the payment process are the myriad of rate rules and pay instructions, such as advances, holdbacks and adjustments such as bonuses and deductions, which are an integral part of the financial process.
- Create account receivable and account payable transactions to support your business.
- Effectively settles your commodity, service, and sales contracts using work and load ticket information and the payment instructions outlined in each contract.
- Provides the ability to automatically generate financial details at a ticket by ticket level based upon one or more applicable payment rates.
- Ties in attributes from within the Trimble Agriculture Suite such as load tickets, work tickets, payment rates, and test quality data to create payment details.
- Calculate and Create the Accounts Payable statements and Accounts Receivable invoices you need to process in the current pay or invoice period.
- Automatically manages retroactive payment adjustments and recovers cash advances, etc.
- Settlement accounts payable and accounts receivable transactions can be exported and integrated into most ERP systems such as SAP, JD Edwards, or the Microsoft Dynamics suite of products.
The Web Portal creates a mechanism for our agri-business clients to interact with their growers and business partners seamlessly over the internet. The portal itself allows organizations to both receive information which is then automatically updated in the application, or post information which drastically reduces both cost and effort associated with regularly scheduled mailings.
- Collaborate with your business partners over the internet…self service.
- Web Authentication – Ensuring secure login and segregation to ensure that users cannot see each other’s information.
- Personal Profiles – Allowing business partners to update their individual information including contact information, production intentions, etc.
- Operational Data – Allowing business partners to interact with operational information such data such as Contract information, Production information, delivery Information, Test results, and Financial Statements.
- Branding – Apply your corporate branding and advertising to support your business partner collaboration efforts.
The evolution of how we produce agricultural commodities has put food safety at the forefront and means that the ability to provide traceability is critical. The Trimble Agriculture Solution allows you to replace existing data islands composed of spreadsheets, paper documents, and stand alone systems with a comprehensive solution covering your entire raw commodity supply chain.
Traceability is composed of following product in two distinct directions:
- Tracking product forward is determined by the capability to locate a specific parcel or lot of inventory wherever it may be within the supply chain. This covers the one step forward requirement of product traceability.
- Tracing product backward through the supply chain is determined by the capability to find the origins and attributes of a specific parcel or lot of inventory in response to an identified issue. This covers the one step backward requirement of product traceability.
- Fortunately, the Trimble Agriculture solution has the capabilities to adapt to your individual requirements and provide the crucial traceability links required for your raw material supply chain enabling tracking and tracing. Trimble Agriculture also has the necessary flexibility to carry and report on a wide range of attributes through each link in the chain allowing it to accommodate a variety of regulations without significant change.